Sunday, August 23, 2020

The Marvells of Fruita


On recommendation I have come
To Fruita, hoping there to find
A vegetable life and sweet.
If pears run bareback in the street,
If clad in lucency of rind,
The watermelons strike me dumb,
I can eschew the vice of meat.
I can do seeds.  I’ll leave behind
A life of leg for love of plum.


Instead of one, I’ll love by tree.
Orchards of lovers, each the same
(Allowing for the minor spot
And bruise), will fail; who loves me not,
Need never even bear a name.
A blossom and a bud will be
Two names for each: I’ll love the lot,
Keep them from freezing by my flame,
Pick an extended family,


And build an altar on the hill
That lifts above the Fruita plain.
I’ll bury pits, one to a hole,
And watch the botanizing soul
Of each I loved burst forth again,
Multiplied.  I shall taste my fill,
Haremed upon my grassy knoll,
Summoned by humankind in vain,
Of apples of untainted will.



2 comments:

Clawson said...

The poet and orchard lover, Ross Gay, would love this piece.

Clawson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.